I think I've got BTSD

I really was looking forward to Thanksgiving break, but I couldn't sleep late (I woke up when I always do), I kept feeling like I was forgetting to do something (like pick up kids), and whenever the cat meowed, I'd look over my shoulder and yell, "Will you please sit down, turn around and be quiet!"

I'm pretty sure I have BTSD -- Bus Traumatic Stress Disorder.

BTSD is a malady thousands of bus drivers suffer with but never say a word about. And it's easy to spot: You can see it when they're driving their SUVs and stop at every railroad crossing. You can see it when they're driving their mini vans and turn on their hazard lights whenever they stop. You can see it when they never drive their Hondas over 50 mph on the highway. You can see it when their spouses complain about their driving, and they clench their teeth and squeeze the steering wheel until their knuckles turn white, and they say things like, "How dare you lecture me about driving! I'm a professional. I own the road!" when what they SHOULD have said was, "Yes, dear, I see everyone's stopping."

I guess I could go to a doctor, but I know what he'd say. He'd say, "You need to take some time off. Get away for awhile. Maybe Hawaii's in your future. What about Alaska? There's nothing really wrong with you that I can fix. Thanks for coming by and don't forget to pay the lady at the counter."

BTSD is just something I'll have to live with, I guess. But that's okay. I'm strong. I'm dependable. I'm a bus driver, and bus drivers can do anything!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Check This Out!